PM SW1 #11 at the B&O Railroad Museum, As Retired.

 

Ex-PM switch engine #11, at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Maryland circa 2000. #11 was the second diesel purchased by the PM, arriving on the property in 1942. While this EMD SW1 was in service for the PM and the C&O, she worked mainly in Port Huron, Michigan, and on the Canadian Division.

While in Canada, #11 spent many years switching cars at the docks at Erieau, Ontario, then hauling the coal unloaded from the steamer Alexander Leslie inland. In its later years, #11 applied its 600 horsepower to switching the chemical plants at Sarnia, Ontario. She was the last ex-PM diesel to operate in revenue service.

Number 11 was used for several years by the B&O Museum to spot equipment for display, and to haul passengers around the grounds, typically in ex-C&O coach #1700 (which was originally purchased for use on the Pere Marquettes). In this photo, it wears the paint scheme it wore upon delivery, but is in the modififed condition it was in at the time of its retirement in the 1980s. At various times during its career it had its handrails modified extensively and its original single-beam headlights replaced with twin sealed-beam models. Following the collapse of the roundhouse roof at the B&O Museum in 2004, it was restored to more closely match its 1942 appearance.

Photo by Chuck Neal

 

Re-use or reproduction of this photograph is prohibited without prior permission.

 


Use of this Web site and the materials contained within it is subject to specific terms and conditions.

Do you have questions or comments regarding this Web site? E-mail to
The contents of this Web site are Copyright © 2019, John F. ("Fritz") Milhaupt on behalf of the Pere Marquette Historical Society, Inc., All Rights Reserved.